Both of the images above were taken at the same time by two different photographers. With only one photographer, you would not be able to get both of these perspectives at the same time.
Just like the images above, these two images were also taken at the same time. With two photographers we were able to capture the groom's last minute details as well as this touching moment between the bride and her father.
Do you need a second photographer on your wedding day/should I get a second photographer for my wedding? These are questions that I get asked at every wedding consultation and rightfully so. Your wedding day is one of the biggest days of your life and it marks the start of your life together as a married couple. You will want to have the whole day covered so you can look back on it and enjoy it for the rest of your life.
The benefits of adding a second photographer to your wedding package (in no particular order):
1. Your photographer can be in two different places at the same time with a second photographer. For example, the getting ready portraits. Normally, the bride and groom will be in separate places while they are getting ready. With a second shooter one photographer can be with the bride and the second photographer can be with the groom. Another example is the cocktail hour. Oftentimes, this will be when the bride and groom are taking their couple portraits. With two photographers, while the main photographer is photographing the bride and groom the second photographer can be photographing the decor and guests during the cocktail hour. This will allow you to get more photos during your wedding as well as some different images that one photographer wouldn't be able to capture.
2. You will get two different vantage points. During the ceremony and reception both photographers can be stationed at different places which will allow you to get different angles of the same event as well as more images. An example is during the ceremony, one photographer can capture the bride's reaction and the other photographer can capture the grooms reaction. *You can view an example of this with the images above.
3. Your main photographer will have a helper. Now, I know you might be thinking, but how does this help me and my images? A second photographer not only will help capture more images during the day but they are also a huge help for the main photographer. A couple examples are as follows. During the family/group portraits the second photographer can assist calling out the different group combinations, corralling people, and helping everyone get into position. This helps with cutting down on the time needed for the formal portraits and helps make sure the images look great. Another great reason is breaks. During your wedding your photographer is going to have to go to the restroom at one point or another and grab a bite to eat. Your photographer will try to time this to happen when there is a down point in the wedding, but surprises can happen at any time during your wedding. With a second photographer, while one photographer is away there will always be one present to capture those special candid moments that may occur. They can also help hold reflectors and lights, as needed, to produce amazing images.
4. More images. This has been mentioned in all the points above, but with a second photographer you will have more images from your wedding.
5. They are a backup. Most wedding photographers, myself included, bring a set of backup equipment in case something malfunctions or gets damaged. However, if something were to happen to their equipment and they need to switch to their backups they may miss a special moment. With a second photographer its an extra piece of mind that everything will get covered. Again, this is a worst case scenario, I personally have never had this happen to me at an event, but it can happen.
I always tell my couples that if they can make room in their budget for a second photographer that they should add one on. However, if they don't have wiggle room in their budget and it comes down to booking their dream photographer or booking a photographer who is a little cheaper, that they should book their dream photographer! A good wedding photographer can maneuver a wedding day without a second photographer if needed.
Wedding Wednesday is a blog series that occurs every Wednesday and answers the questions you have about wedding photography. Have a question you would like to have answered or something that you wish you would have known before your wedding or are you a wedding professional who would like to contribute? Send your questions to email@example.com.