Engagement sessions are normally the first professional photo session that couples will have together. This session can be a whole lot of fun and is a great time to work with your wedding photographer before the big day. The last thing I want is for the engagement session to be stressful for my couples so I always pass along some tips and tricks so couple feel more prepared and ready for their engagement session.
Today's blog post will have one of those tips and is all about your engagement session outfit! Below are some of my top tips for planning your engagement outfit.
- Choose clothes that are comfortable! This detail is pretty obvious but it is something that some couples will overlook. You want your outfit to be comfortable and be something that you can move in. You will be spending some time in your outfit and walking around and wearing uncomfortable clothing can just make you feel, well, uncomfortable. Ladies, if you want to wear heels or shoes that may be hard to walk in, bring along an extra pair of shoes so that you don't have to suffer while walking to different portrait locations.
- You do not need to match each other perfectly! However, do coordinate your colors and accessories.
- Accessories are your friend! Feel free to wear a bold necklace or scarf. Layer your outfit with a jacket or sweater. You can always take off these accessories during your shoot to have some more variety.
- Speaking of accessories, remember your engagement ring! You don't know how many couples forget this detail. You will have several images of your engagement ring taken so don't forget it and give it a good cleaning before your session so it will shine with all it's glory! :)
- Avoid clothing with loud patterns or graphics. Also, avoid clothing with very small patterns. You won't want your engagement portraits to be a walking advertisement for your favorite soda (of course if that's your favorite drink and you want to represent it, then thats fine too!). Most patterns are fine, but you want to make sure they're not too distracting or too small of a pattern. Super small patterns don't read well on camera.
- Feel free to bring along a change of clothes. A lot of couples will do one casual outfit and then one outfit that is a little dressier.
- Empty your pockets! (Guys, I'm talking to you here!) You won't want your photos to have a phone or car key outline so make sure those pockets are empty.
- If you only remember one tip, remember this last one: be you and have fun! This is your engagement session. Don't feel pressured to wear anything in particular or wear an outfit that truly doesn't represent you and your fiancé. If you want to wear something crazy, do it! If you want to wear something more low key, do it! Wear what represents you!
Wedding Wednesday is a blog series that occurs every Wednesday and answers the questions you have about wedding photography. Have a question you would like to have answered or something that you wish you would have known before your wedding or are you a wedding professional who would like to contribute? Send your questions to email@example.com.